Lower King is located along the lower reaches of the King River on the western shore of Oyster Harbour, and approx. 12kms for the centre of Albany. Both the town and the river were named after Captain Philip Parker King who first visited the area in the 1818 aboard the Mermaid. The area was first settled in the 1830s but the townsite was not gazetted until 1959.
Lower King has parks, shops and is a favorite place for families and fisherman alike, who enjoy spending time on the waters edge.